A Weight Loss Study for Diabetes Prevention
- Would you like to participate in an eight-month nutrition study?
- Would you like to lose weight?
- Are you concerned about your diabetes risk?
We will investigate whether daily consumption of feijoa whole fruit powder alters risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
You will be required to:
- Visit the Human Nutrition Unit, in Mt Eden, 7 times
- Follow the low energy, Cambridge weight-loss diet for 8-weeks
- Complete a 6-month weight maintenance programme
- Consume feijoa whole fruit powder or placebo matched powder every day for eight months
If you are located in Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland area), you may be eligible if you:
- Have elevated blood glucose but are not diabetic (we can check this for you)
- Are of Māori, Pacific Island, Asian Indian, Asian Chinese or NZ European/Caucasian descent
- Are between 18-70 years
- Have a BMI 25-40 kg/m2
- Are happy to participate in an 8-month weight loss study
- Are happy to consume feijoa whole fruit powder or matched placebo powder every day for eight months
- Are happy to complete 7 visits to the Human Nutrition Unit
You will be compensated for your time.
IMPORTANT: You cannot participate in the study if you have already been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Complete the pre-screening survey here
If you have any further questions please visit our FAQ page
If you would like to learn more about this study, please contact us:
Phone: 09 630 1162
Statement of ethics approval:
This study has been approved by the Southern Health and Disability Ethics Committee (2022 EXP 12032)